COVID Vaccine Updates
Everyone 6 months and older is eligible and encouraged to get a COVID-19 vaccine. Make sure you stay up to date with primary series doses and boosters.
Anyone who is eligible can now directly schedule an appointment to receive a free COVID-19 vaccine at Arlington County public health clinics.
Individuals can also directly book appointments at Vaccines.gov, where you can search for clinics, pharmacies and other nearby locations that offer COVID-19 vaccines.
All information can be found on the county’s COVID website.
Even after you are vaccinated, you will still need to practice these prevention steps:
- Stay home if sick
- Wash your hands
- Wear a face covering
- Keep physical distance from others
- Arlington County’s Vaccine resource site
- Clinic registration site or call the county’s COVID hotline: 703-228-7999
- Virginia Hospital Center’s COVID vaccine registration site
Arlington County Resources:
- Arlington County Aging and Disability Resource Center, 703-228-1700
- Arlington County Senior Adult Mental Health program, 703-228-1700
- Essential needs: Benefits, Food and Financial Assistance, Community supports, 703-228-1300
- COVID Hotline, 703-228-7999
- Department of Human Services—Assistance from a Distance (during COVID)
- Emergency Mental Health Services, 703-228-5160
FCA is heartened by the many small and large acts of kindness, from making masks to volunteering at food distribution sites, to uplifting chalk art and messages. As we learn to adjust to the “new normal” of being at home, staying safe and healthy should remain everyone’s priority. Being part of Fairlington already assures us a strong community that looks out for one another.
Through an outreach program from the Arlington County Department of Human Services (DHS), FCA has acquired resuable cloth masks, intended for vulnerable populations. Please contact your condo association board or FCA Board Director, Chris Weathers at 703-402-4648 for more information or whether you would like to receive one.
Do you or a neighbor need help getting groceries or other items? There are Fairlingtonians that are ready to help. Please email your request to; VP at fca-fairlington.org or call FCA’s general number: 571-403-1943. Someone will be checking regularly and will follow-up.
Have COVID related questions concerns beyond neighbor to neighbor help? Call Arlington County’s COVID hotline: 703-228-7999. (Mon.-Fri., 7 a.m.-7 p.m.; Sat. & Sun., 8 a.m.-5 p.m.).
In other news, FCA would like to share the following PSAs:
- The Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) has been opening facilities in phases including tracks, tennis courts and picnic shelters. However, the Fairlington Park playground remains closed (as of early June.) We encourage you to check regularly with the county for the latest information.
- As part of the re-opening, masks are now required in most indoor establishments for ages 10 and over. FCA has requested cloth masks through a county initiative to ensure those most vulnerable in our community have one. FCA will coordinate with each condo association for distribution later this month.
- As part of the re-opening and the arrival of summer, residents are looking at sparkling pools and wondering what will happen. Pool operation is determined by each condo association, which are, in turn, governed by Arlington County or City of Alexandria ordinances. Condo Association leaders continue to look at options that work best for their respective community. Please be patient and reach out to them directly for updates.
- From Arlington County Police Department: The department remains committed to providing professional law enforcement services to the Arlington community but, like many of you, has taken precautions to help mitigate and reduce any unnecessary exposure and spread of COVID-19. We are asking the public to report applicable non-emergency incidents using the online reporting system. Officers continue to respond to in-progress crimes and emergency calls for service where there is an immediate threat to life, health or property. Please continue to report emergency incidents and in-progress crimes to the Emergency Communications Center by calling 703-558-2222 (non-emergency number) or 9-1-1. Additionally, you may observe officers wearing protective gear such as gloves, masks or eye protection to help reduce exposure.
- Here is a link from the IRS about COVID-19 scams: scam information
- And for all our Fairlington Pet Owners –
7. FCA is asking that all residents have a means of contacting at least two people that live close by – either via email or phone in case of emergency.
8. ACPD is asking to use common sense when exercising or spending time outside. Fairlington’s condo associations have made their own respective decisions on whether to keep certain amenities open. This varies among condo associations.
9. FCA has been compiling a list of volunteers who might be willing to help the community – from checking on neighbors, to being willing to pick up a few grocery items the next time you are going to the store, to making masks for neighbors who may need them, to helping out at an event such as a blood drive. Being part of this list does not compel you to do anything, it would just serve as a resource for FCA and touch point. Please email Jennifer Davies at vp at fca-fairlington.org if you are interested or have any questions.
Lastly, we would like to call attention to Great Harvest Bakery and the Hurst Family that live in the Arbor. They have generously supplied hundreds of loaves of bread and purchased pantry items for families hardest hit by the pandemic, including Park Shirlington, which is covered by FCA. Offer to donate a loaf or make a contribution next time you are there!