During the 18th Century, most of what is now Fairlington belonged to Colonel John Carlyle, a prominent Alexandria citizen and owner of the celebrated Carlyle House. Around 1770, this friend of George Washington established a plantation and constructed a large white house know as Morven. Its site is in North Fairlington at the end of 31st Street just north of Route 7. In 1774, George Washington purchased a land grant that included a small parcel of land in North Fairlington near Abingdon School and South 28th Street. He frequently used Carlyle’s grist mill, sending his grain upstream on Four Mile Run.1
Fairlington at 70
Fairlington was registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark in 1998 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1999. Learn more about Fairlington’s history from the Fairlington Historical Society.
Read the article about Fairlington turning 70 in the February 2013 All Fairlington Bulletin. The FCA is planning activities now to celebrate and featuring monthly articles in the All Fairlington Bulletin.
Arlington County Board members formally designated 23 properties where preservation efforts are “essential.” Read the full story from the Sun Gazette.
Boundary Stone Project
On Saturday, May 19, 2012, volunteers helped with a Boundary Stone fence and restoration project in Fairlington Mews. This Boundary Stone was one of 40 installed in 1791 to mark the boundary for the District of Columbia. A WAMU 88.5 reporter was on hand to film the event for “Metro Connection.” Read about the project and listen to the podcast here.
Before and after pictures below courtesy of FCA Director Guy Land.